Friday, March 14, 2008

The infamous, The elusive


Let me first tell you I am not an expert in mycology... the study of mushrooms. Wild mushrooms are prized by chefs around the world. Tons and tons of wild mushrooms are picked in most states across the country. My personal favorite is the elusive morel, a beautiful ancient mushroom. morels are shaped unlike any other fungi. a honeycomb textured cap connects directly to a hollow stem. Morels come in the spring from february to may depending on factors like rain, altitude, snowmelt, and temperature. These finicky fungi chose select locations like rotting elms and apple trees to call home.


My first introduction to morel hunting was with a former chef in central Oregon. We traveled roughly 40 miles outside Bend to a "secret" location I will not disclose. A small group of us gathered a few of the hard to find mushrooms within a few hours of searching. A few weeks later myself & my chef friend Steve returned to the location via my GPS device and gathered about double the groups total in a short time. These mushrooms are best fried up with some butter, or filled with mousse.


As spring approaches in New England, I have begun researching locations within my area to seek out these beauties. Possible thoughts include abandon orchards, and an State Management Area my current chef often Mountain bikes in.




I will keep you informed!




No comments: