Monday, March 17, 2008

In the sticks

After work sunday, I came on up to Boylston, MA to see my sister and my beautiful niece Felicity. I needed to get away from the city, and a view full of trees is all I needed to unwind. Sunday evening we made some comfort food in the form of lasanga with sausage and peppers. Sometimes, it is the company and not the food which makes a meal. A great atmosphere that is condusive to flowing conversation is an ideal environment for a meal. in "Meals for me" food writer MFK Fischer pens ideas about an ideal elitist table. She argues that no more than six may share a table because a larger group may begin having separate conversations. Another of her ideas says that you should not invite young lovers to your table because they will not pay attention to anything but eachother. These views are not necessarily mine but some interesting food for thought. As a host I believe you should definately think about your guests and how they may interact. It may be important for you to change subjects or start new topics if the converstaion becomes stale or taboo.

In short,

Good conversation can save a bad meal..... but most definately dont cook a bad meal.

When conversation is hard to find add wine or beer, chilled, and try again.