Friday, April 11, 2008

I just want to bake bread

It sounds simple, but it is much more than that. Bread doesn't leave anything to chance. Over mixed, it's shit, under baked, its shit. You use some shortening in your croissants instead of 100% plugra, Its SHIT. I love Bread. It lives. You are 100% in charge of its life cycle.

I have worked side by side with chefs whom I believe to be some of the foremost bread bakers in the world. They do not compromise. Their ingredients are top notch and their schedule is dictated by the bread. They have adobe style ovens in their backyards. It is easy to see they love their craft.

With strong flavors like lemon, raspberry, chocolate, and vanilla pastry chefs can hide things like poor quality flour or butter. Bread creates its flavors with natural organic acids and gasses. you cannot hide poor quality ingredients when baking bread. The loaf can tell the story of its life right there before your eyes.

Thank you bread. Thank you for being so ancient and fresh, so crispy and creamy, alive and dead. You are the evolution of man, the wonder bread and the french baguette. You have been and will be until the wheat lies dead in the fields.




OK. Anyway I just wanted to tell you that with fuels pricesgoing crazy the price of flour has gone up by 60%+. The Bakery I frequent is now buying from Canada. I'm fucking pissed that people wont let go of their old ways and realize we can't do it with oil anymore!

BCC

2 comments:

Felicity and Harry said...

mmmm...bread. I like bread a lot. I like all food a lot actually.

Unknown said...

get your bake on...make that bread. You mean that you didn't want to spend your weekend landscaping? You really wanted to bake bread...sorry.